I’m going to the west coast next weekend to see my cousin graduate. It’s a short trip, but I’m not going to let it derail me from working out or eating right. Seriously, traveling or not, unhealthy living isn’t very fun or relaxing to me. Here are my tips to staying on track when you’re traveling.
1. Find several places that are exercise friendly I’ve already googled all of the gyms I can go to on a day-pass while I’m away next weekend. My cousin has informed me that I can also go to the Y with her. Looks like I’ll be swimming a bit.
2. Bring extra cash just for traveling expenses I don’t want to be restricted by the schedule of others, so I plan to bring enough money for cabs. If I find myself waiting for people to get up or something, I can just call a cab to take me to the gym. Oh, but don’t forget to leave your hosts a note.
3. Bring money to purchase staple foods I also know that I’ll be close to a Whole Foods, which means I’ll be stocking up on Poland Springs, non-dairy yogurt, raw nuts and fruit. This way I’ll always have something that I feel good about eating on hand. Everyone in my family knows I’m picky about food, so no one will be insulted by my carrying around trail mix.
4. Learn Fitness Moves You Can Do Anywhere I don’t know exactly what equipment will be available to me when I’m away, so I am putting to memory some easy moves I can do in my room. Not sure what moves to do? Try some from this video.
5. Offer to cook for your hosts
This is a fun way to introduce your fam and friends to some of your favorite healthy foods, while guaranteeing you stick to your diet. I’m a smoothie queen, so I’ll probably whip up my fair share of protein and fruit drinks while I’m there.
6. Pack Fitness Tools in Your Travel Case
Sneakers? Check. Swimsuit? Check. Fitness apps? Downloaded. There are so many ways to keep moving when you travel. You just have to get creative. Check out what will be in my bag.
How do you stay fit when you travel? Do you care about sticking to your diet when away from home? Tell me the skinny.