Posts tagged "healthy foods"
To Eat or Not to Eat: Fruit Edition
Fruit contains water, fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and a bunch of other stuff that your body NEEDS! It’s good for your skin, digestion, and overall well being. Beware of any diet that says you can’t eat fruit. Actually, you should run away from anyone who tells you that certain fruits should be avoided. That’s just poppycock!
I have a smoothie or protein shake at least five days a week. It makes the process of getting enough veggies, fruit and protein a lot easier.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 triangles)
- 1 (12-ounce) package firm tofu, drained and cut crosswise into 6 slices
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons thinly diagonally sliced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Cut each slice of tofu in half diagonally. Place tofu slices on several layers of paper towels, and cover tofu with additional paper towels; let stand 15 minutes, pressing down occasionally.
- Combine vinegar and next 4 ingredients (through rind) in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 6 minutes or until thick and syrupy. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange tofu slices in pan in a single layer; sauté 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from heat; pour vinegar mixture over tofu to coat. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Amount per serving
Saturated fat: 1.2g
Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
Mixed Green Salad with Peaches & Blackberries in Champagne Vinaigrette
- 2 Tsp champagne vinegar
- 1 Tsp honey
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb mixed greens
- 1 cup ripe peaches, diced
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine the champagne vinegar and honey. While continuing to blend, slowly drizzle olive oil into the mixture until the dressing is smooth and emulsified. Season dressing with salt and pepper to taste and set aside until ready to use. To make ahead, you can also store in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 1 week.
In a large stainless steel bowl, combine the mixed greens, peaches, blackberries and sliced almonds. Drizzle about 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette into the bowl and season with salt and pepper. Toss gently but thoroughly to combine, serve immediately on chilled salad plates.
Per serving: 2 cups 113 Calories
It can be a real pain in your buns of steel to get enough protein if your vegetarian. It can feel damn near impossible if you are a vegan. Every body is different and so is its protein needs. If you’re interested in eating a high protein diet or just acquiring enough protein, the first step is to learn how much protein your body needs. In order to figure out how much protein you require, multiply your body weight by 0.36.
Here are some great sources of protein to try out. It is possible to go animal product free and still meet your fitness and health goals!
1 cup Tempeh has 41 grams (wow)
3 oz. Seitan has 31 grams
1 c. Soybeans has 29 grams
1 c. Lentils has 18 grams
1 c. Black beans has 15 grams
1 c. Kidney beans has 13 grams
1 Veggie burger has 13 grams (varies by brand)
1 c. Chickpeas has 12 grams
1 c. Veggie baked beans has 12 grams
1 c. Pinto beans has 12 grams
1 c. Black-eyed peas has 11 grams
4 oz. firm Tofu has 11 grams
1 c. Lima beans has 10 grams
1 c. Quinoa has 9 grams
4 oz regular Tofu has 9 grams
1 med.(3 oz) Bagel has 9 grams
1 c. Peas has 9 grams
2 Tbsp Peanut butter has 8 grams
1 Veggie dog has 8 grams
1 c. Spaghetti has 8 grams
1/4 c. Almonds has 8 grams
1 c. plain Soy milk has 7 grams
6 oz. plain Soy yogurt has 6 grams
1 c. Bulgur has 6 grams
1/4 c. Sunflower seeds has 6 grams
2 slices Whole wheat bread has 5 grams
1/4 c. Cashews has 5 grams
2 Tbsp Almond butter has 5grams
1 c. Brown rice has 5 grams
1 c. cooked Spinach has 5 grams
1 c. cooked Broccoli has 4 grams
1 med.(6 oz) Potato has 4 grams
1 bar (3 oz.) Vegan dark chocolate has 3 grams