I made this dish for my sister, who loves traditional Nutella. I think she may prefer this homemade version, which is less sugar and more hazelnut. The spread is very easy to make; you literally just throw everything in your food processor. I like to eat it on graham crackers topped with bananas. These pictures don’t really do this nutella justice. Just make it, you will see how it is way better than anything from a jar.
Homemade Nutella, adapted from Chickpea
- 4 cups shelled hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup pure cocoa powder
- 1/4 canola oil
- splash of soy or almond milk
- Pour the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350F for 10 minutes, or until they just start to turn golden. Every two minutes, take the tray out and shake it so that they bake evenly.
- Transfer the nuts to your food processor. Blend until they turn into a course meal, and then until they have a paste consistency. If the blade gets stuck, pour some oil 1 TB at a time, until the blade moves again.
- When it has reached a good creamy consistency, pour the sugar and cocoa in and blend. Add milk, if needed, to make it smoother.
- Keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 months.